For the past month or so I have been trying to set myself a quarterly-year goal of creating a night routine. You might be wondering “Why the heck do you want to create a night routine Frankie?” well the answer to this is that, for me routines help me to feel like I have everything in order and that I have everything planned and so on.
The reason why I decided to implement a night routine is to feel at ease after a long day, to feel productive and ready for the following day ahead and to set my intentions start before going to sleep and to unwind and relax, to the fullest that I can.
Night routines should help you relax, wind-down and create a consistent routine so that your body can naturally start to wind down when you do your nightly rituals 🙂
- I’d like to share what I’m doing that has really been working for me and I can honestly say that I am feeling fantastic when I go to sleep.
- Clean up your space. There is nothing better than waking up in the morning to a clean environment.
- Stretch. I like to do a few yoga stretches whenever I can. I find that it helps me to relax physically and mentally taking a moment to just be by myself.
- Skin care. Recently I have been a bit obsessed with skin care and trying my hardest to keep my skin clear and looking healthy. I take my time with this step in my night routine to really do everything gently and massage my skin.
- Tea. I always look forward to having tea at the end of a long day, it’s soothing, calming and warming. I have all different kinds of teas. Sometimes I have camomile tea, green tea, rooibos tea, earl-grey tea, and my favourite at the moment is a turmeric latte. A turmeric latte is more effort but I find that I enjoy it more and is much more satisfying.
- Reading. Whilst I drink my tea I love to read a novel in bed for a while. Reading is so relaxing and helps me take my mind off everything else from during the day.
- Essential oils. I like to apply essential oils and creams before I go to sleep, it’s like an extra boost of relaxation for me as I unwind throughout the evening. I personally love to use lavender oil, chamomile, ylang ylang and clary sage. That blend of essential oils for me works wonders, I instantly feel calmer and more relaxed (but that also goes with how I view the process of applying oils to my pressure points and creams on my hands, neck, and thighs).
- Meditate and pray. As I’m falling asleep I like to take my thoughts captive and think about what has gone well throughout my day, regardless of how small it may have been. Being grateful and thanking God for everything that goes on in your life is so important for self-awareness and seeing everything through an optimistic eye. For me, I believe that this is the best way to end off the day on the right foot. 🙂
There have been some days where I’ve done everything and felt formidable, and there have been days were I’ve barely done anything. Creating positive and uplifting habits take conscious and well-thought out effort and action for them to stick and if you persist, you will start to see the rewards rolling in and blessing you with the amazing benefits!
With love and peace, Frankie xxx